I took a little break from the paintings I have started for the Leslie Saeta 30 Day Challenge. I wanted to just play and seeing all the wonderful watercolor works on Paint My Photo, decided to play with acrylics, watered down, to paint on paper.
The Paint My Photo site has monthly challenges and this month the challenge was to pick two photos from the site (there are THOUSANDS), and put a person into a landscape - in scale. AND it had to be LONG format so that the winner's can be used as the website masthead for the next six months.
So I played this morning and was not unhappy with this outcome for my first try. Will definitely practice and do more acrylics on paper!
These were the reference photos I chose to merge, both from Paint My Photo:
I am so glad I didn't commit to a painting a day! It will be a
stretch to get 7 done for the week but I'm close. Have several almost
dones and two more completed. But the photo on one was awful and now the
light's too low. Frustration.
Anyway, am loving
learning to paint with acrylics and although there's a lot of trial and
error, am really happy with this one. Had to go to store and buy Pyrole
Red as the Napthol and Cadmium Red Medium were so orange I couldn't get
the right color. Pyrole fluid acrylics by Golden did the trick as the
'mother color' for the cherries.
This is a study for a
larger painting, so it's done on a student grade canvas panel, but I'm
selling it anyway because.....it's really pretty....and will be
affordable for someone to enjoy.....and the parrots at Garuda Aviary can
really use the financial help. Even just a little bit like this.
Here is yesterday's submission for the 30 Day Challenge. I used Genesis heat set oils and it's not setting properly as the paint's so thick. Will try to reset but my A/C broke and don't want to turn on the oven! Was fun to paint, though.
Joining Leslie Saeta's challenge to paint, paint, paint, and today was day one. Some artists can do a painting a day - I'm too slow - so I'm committed to 30 in 30. Have my subjects all lined up, about half the panels/canvases prepped and worked on two today that have the same color palette.
Finished a palette knife painting of a slice of cantaloupe......but didn't get to photograph it before the sun went down, so will post that tomorrow.
Some will be for sale, some will be just learning experiences (read "FAIL") but I'm hoping it will loosen up my style as well as see color and tonal values more easily. That only comes with lots of practice.Some will be "studies" made for larger works down the road. But if they're good enough, they will be for sale.
The parrots at Garuda Aviary need more peanuts! All proceeds from this (huge-to-me) effort will go to the Aviary.
Here are a few of the reference photos I've chosen to work with the first week. You'll have to check back to see the paintings!
Should be fun! And later there WILL be a parrot or two!
(Most of the photos above are from Paint My Photo - if you are an artist, this is a fabulous resource!)